How to Get Involved Socially at Your New Assisted Living Community
After you’ve first moved into an assisted living community, it’s normal to feel a little apprehensive and out of sorts. You’re getting used to a new routine; a new, smaller living space; and meeting new people all the time — from the staff to the other residents. However, it’s important to keep in mind that you made the transition in order to improve your overall quality of life. In time, you’ll notice a boost in your health and independence, as you’re receiving the right level of care to ensure you’re thriving in your new home.
Social Wellness and Healthy Aging
While there are a variety of benefits to moving to an assisted living community, one of the greatest reasons is all the opportunities to improve your social wellness. Studies show that staying socially active as you age can actually be as important as getting regular exercise. Seniors who keep their social calendars filled tend to be healthier than those who are isolated from others, with less risk of developing conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. Additionally, you’ll have a reduced chance of suffering from depression, and you can even enjoy a sharper mind longer.
How to Join in on the Fun — Social Activities for Seniors in Assisted Living
Assisted living communities have long recognized the benefits of offering a variety of social activities to allow residents to build lasting, meaningful relationships with both their neighbors and the staff. Don’t be afraid to get involved! There’s sure to be an event or activity that spikes your interest. Some of the social activities you can expect to find include:
- Dining options. Studies show that eating together in a group setting can help improve your nutrition habits. Most communities offer up to three meals a day, plus snacks served in a restaurant-style dining room or cozy bistro where you can enjoy plenty of time to converse with your neighbors. Don’t be shy at your dinner table! Make conversation with your tablemates to learn all about their lives and interests.
- Daily and weekly scheduled events. Enjoy movies? Reading? Quilting? You’ll find an entirely new world full of activities and events you can attend on a daily or weekly basis. Plus, most assisted living communities offer these social activities for seniors both on campus and off, with scheduled outings to theaters, shopping, the library, etc. Try out a new hobby or join in on a group to meet others who share your interests.
- Wellness programming. Enjoy improving your physical health while boosting your social wellness at the same time! Assisted living communities offer a variety of health and fitness programs to ensure you’re getting the regular exercise you need. Additionally, you’ll find programming designed with your specific needs and goals in mind. Don’t be afraid to try a new fitness class and meet some new friends along the way.
- Opportunities for lifelong learning. Many assisted living communities offer opportunities for residents to stay intellectually stimulated through art and cultural events, including guest speaking engagements; art and music classes; or book clubs and discussion groups. If there’s something you’ve always wanted to learn, there’s no time like the present to take a class and get involved.
- Family members visiting. Your family members are always welcome and encouraged to visit regularly, so don’t think that moving to assisted living means you’ll never see your loved ones. In fact, families are often invited to take part in many of the scheduled social events and activities. Or, your loved ones can join you for dinner to interact with you and the other residents.
Vibrant Assisted Living at Advent Christian Village
If you’re looking for a vibrant assisted living community in Live Oak, Florida, look no further than Dacier Manor, a vital part of the continuum of care at Advent Christian Village. Our caring staff of professionals provides around-the-clock help with daily living activities to ensure you’re enjoying the highest quality of life possible. Plus, with amenities like three daily meals, housekeeping services, and a wide array of social activities, you’ll live the meaningful life you deserve. Contact us to schedule a tour or to request more information.